4th Gwangju Design Biennale
Dogadobisangdo(Design is design is not design)
- Co-Chief Directors : H sang Seung,
CEO of IROJE Architects & Planners Ai Weiwei,
CEO of Fake Design in China
- The theme of the Gwangju Design Biennale 2011, “Dogadobisangdo” inspired by the first lines of Lao Tzu’s Tao Te Ching – “The way that is the way is not always the way “- implies “design is design is not design” by replacing 道 (way) with 圖 (design), also meaning everything with certain names is likely to change. In other words, design is not aimed at creating something good but building a living foundation.This theme was chosen because designs in the 21st century have shifted the attention from objects to spaces and people.
- Period : Sep. 2 – Oct. 23, 2011 (52 days)
- Venue : Gwangju Biennale Exhibition Hall, etc.
- Main Exhibition : Dogadobisangdo
- Special Exhibition : Named Design, Unnamed Design, Community, Gwangju Folly, Biennale City
- Academic Events : Academy
- Events : Festival, performances
- Dogadobisangdo : The exhibition of Dogadobisangdo, the theme of the fourth Gwangju Design Biennale, serves as a venue to variously interpret, analyze and execute the notion, “Design is design is not design.”This abundant, vague excerpt from Lao Tzu’s Tao Tao Te Ching has inspired numerous Asian poets and artists for generations.
“Dogadobisangdo” is playing its pivotal role in studying how designs are affected or affect in terms of various media’s production, distribution and consumption that range from production of musical instruments as time-honored media, along with video and books that we are familiar with and that have strong bases, to recently emerging social network service and augmented reality (AR).
- Named Design, Unnamed Design, Community, Gwangju Folly
Size of Design Biennale
- No. of Participatory Countries : 44
- No. of Participatory Companies : 86
- No. of Participatory Designers : 146
- No. of Design Works : 159
- No. of Visitors : 256,802